I think by now everyone has heard the silly controversy over Marie Kondo saying that you should only keep 30 books, even though she meant you should only keep books that spark joy and while hundreds of books spark joy in me personally, I decided to take on the challenge all the same. I am only counting books that are currently released at the time of this post.
We are taking part in the Bookending Spring 2019 event this year. There are lots of fun blog prompts and this is the first one I’ve chosen to participate in. This prompt was created by AJ @ For The Love Of Diversity In Books but is hosted by Fictionally Sam. Be sure to go check her blog out.
1 – 7. Harry Potter Series – I mean I think a large majority would go with this one. It’s classic for a reason. Since, I’m only doing books that are currently out, I’d like the first three illustrated versions and then I’ll go with regular ones after that. The Illustrated are just so stunning.
8. Alice’s Adventure’s in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll – I’ve been obsessed with Alice since I was about three years old, I can’t imagine it not being on my shelf. I currently probably have 40 or 50 copies on my shelf, so going down to one copy of it would be brutal.
9. Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller – Tricia has fast become one of my all-time favorite authors. I would love to take all three books of hers to date but I’ll settle on this one because that banter! Gotta have my Alossa and Riden.
10 – 12. A Court of Thorns of Roses Series by Sarah J Maas – Yep, I’ve said it before and I’m sure I’ll say it a million more times. I’m complete trash for Maas and I have to have this series on my shelves. I cut out the novella, even though I really enjoyed it.
13 – 15. Illuminae Series by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff – I could never go without everyone’s favorite psychopathic AI AIDAN. I adore this series so much and Kady and Hannah are two of my favorite heroins. They are just badass goals.
16. My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Aston and Jodi Meadows. I know this got a lot of hype when it was released but I feel like that hype has mostly died down and it shouldn’t. This book is perfection in my eyes and Jane and G are one of my favorite literary couples.
17. Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh – This is probably the most relatable and hilarious book I have ever had the pleasure of reading. I treasure my copy so much and it’s just nice not to feel completely insane when you are going through depression/anxiety.
18. Nevermoor by Jessica Townsend – The new Potter series basically. Loved this book and if I had gotten to the next book in the series, I’m sure it would be on the list as well.
19. The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding by Alexandra Bracken – I need some middle – grade on my list and this book was amazing. I can’t believe I only read it this year because it’s a damn treasure – Alistar is my favorite little demon.
20-21. The Pink and Blue Fairy Books Edited by Andrew Lang – I grew up on the fairy books and these are the ones my mom read to me when I was little the most.
22. East by Edith Pattou – A beautiful retelling of West of the Moon, East of the Sun. This was a book that got me interested in fantasy again after many years away from it.
23. Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire – This book is pure magic, it’s just such a special beautiful book.
24. Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan – This is a VERY new book, so it’s cool it made my list. I just loved this book that much.
25. Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo – This is the kind of book that changes you. I think differently because I was lucky enough to read this masterpiece.
26 – 27. Reign of the Fallen and Song of the Dead by Sarah Glenn Marsh – I have such a special place in my heart for these novels. It helps that I was given an acknowledgement in the back of the book. I also need LYSANDER in my life always.
28 – 29 Caraval and Legendary by Stephanie Garber – I get that this is a polarizing series but I freaking adore it. I think it’s one of the best series out there in YA right now. I love how you can’t trust anything at any time. It’s a mind f*ck and a half.
30. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo – I have a very love hate relationship with this book. It has probably my most hated bland boyfriend ever – Mal *gag* However, it has one of the most fun villains in YA, The Darkling.
Would any of these books make your list? Is there any books on your shelves that would 100% have to make the list? Let me know in the comments!